When you need help getting plugged in, trust the team at Promax Electric Ltd. Our locally owned family business provides electrical installation and service approved by a Certified Master Electrician.
Not if they're checked over carefully each year and installed properly. A lot of people keep thier lights in a big bin tucked away for the year. But what you may not realize that a few simple tips can make sure you save money and keep your family safe.
You get what you pay for. Try not to use "dollar store" lights and electrical cords. These often do not have the same safety standards as lights you would find at your local hardware store. Make sure your outside lights clearly indicate they're rated for exterior use. Interior lights have thinner insulation and are not safe to use outside.
Check lights and cords for cracks or tears. If the insulation is compromised, it can mean trouble for both exterior and interior applications. Bare wires start fires.
Use Ground Fault Circuit Interup
Bare wires can start fires. Check over your decorations carefully and never use nails or staples to hang extension cords or lights.
Ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI). Portable GFCI’s are available at your local hardware store.
Extension cords can trip unsuspecting trick-or-treaters or loved ones.
Flame-resistant or non-combustible materials are the words you want to see on any item you incorporate into your decorations. CSA approved decorations are always the safe choice.
Flashlights or battery-operated candles for jack-o-lanterns and outdoor displays are much safer than candles
Turn it off ! Make sure all of your electrical decorations are turned off and any open flames blown out before you leave your home or go to bed.
Happy Halloween! Stay Safe.